Women in the Word {The Fear of the Lord}


Yesterday during Bible time in homeschool, Hadara and I were studying Proverbs 15:6.  It's not one of those popular verses in the Bible.  In fact, one that I hardly knew existed.  However, this one is packed with punch and spoke loudly to me.  

Now, let's read Proverbs 15: 6

Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil. 

As we talked about what turmoil means, I looked it up.  It's not a pleasant word.  One that I would want to stay far from my life or anyone's life for that matter.  

Turmoil, a state of great disturbance, confusion or uncertainty.  Trouble and mayhem!  Who wants that?  

The fear of the Lord is the key here.  Without the fear of the Lord in our life, we can manifest turmoil in our life.  So, even if we have little, as long as we have the fear of the Lord we have everything!  For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Mark 8:36).  Wealth is not bad, but without the fear of the Lord in your life, riches are meaningless.  You have nothing! 

So, let's flip it!  The opposite of disturbance and confusion is peace.  The opposite of uncertainty is having complete confidence and trust in the Lord for our present and future.  Since we know we are His and no matter what happens in our life, we have one destination and that's to be with Jesus!  

Proverbs 9:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding".    Isn't it wise to choose peace over turmoil? 
Blesssed assurance over uncertainty?   A sound mind over being disturbed? 
Definitely!  

Without Jesus in my life, I remember a time when I was very disturbed, confused and very uncertain about my future and my eternal destiny.  That was not a fun or good place to be.  It's a painful place.  Lonely and fearful.  

Yet, my life changed the moment I chose to walk in the fear of the Lord.  I ponder why many do not choose this path when it's a beautiful path of love, joy and peace.  Jesus calms the storms in our lives.  Yes, there will be storms, but during those times, I don't want to be apart from Him.  For He is my safety and my strong tower when the waves come crashing in. 

As a woman of God, we must remember daily that the fear of the Lord is a very important key in our faith walk.  As mothers, it's important to teach this to our children.  It's important to check our hearts daily to see if the fear of the Lord is prevalently living and existing in our lives and hearts.  I think this verse is actually a good test to see where we are and to be intentional in our faith walk.  

When I feel disturbed, confused or uncertain, I must pay attention.  I must get alone with God and ask Him. Do I still have the fear of the Lord?  Whether I have much or little.  During a time of feast or famine.  I must seek Him.  

Today, I encourage you to seek the God of peace, Jehovah Shalom.  If you are battling a time in your life of turmoil, I pray that you seek His peace.  May you and your family be sheltered in His peace today.  No matter what you're going through.  

I hope this encouraged you, because I felt led to share and hopefully it will help you like it helped me too.  Have a beautiful day! 

Blessings and Shalom, 






Labels: , ,